Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New Forum Picture, What are the Odds...

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New Forum Picture, What are the Odds...

    that I would venture to a clients office in Pasadena and the first thing I find is this magazine cover staring at me as soon as I enter the building from the underground parking structure!

    I've never been to this clients office before, and Pasadena is 30-40 miles from me. Well, it's a super-8 camera on the cover of the current issue (July 17th, 2003) of Pasadena weekly.

    Can you guess what camera that is?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:03 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ------------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    ------------------------

    Originally posted by Alex:


    Can you guess what camera that is?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Sure looks like an Elmo.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It looks like an elmo (that's what I thought at first), but it is a Minolta. 7-56mm??? 1.4 lens.

    Which model number is that?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:04 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ----------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    -----------------------

    Originally posted by Alex:
    It looks like an elmo (that's what I thought at first), but it is a Minolta. 7-56mm??? 1.4 lens.

    Which model number is that?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Must be this

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4691

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  5. #5
    TA 152
    Guest TA 152's Avatar

    Post

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 28, 2003 04:59 AM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font></font>

    -------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    --------------------

    Found this on:
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/m.htm

    Might be the same?

    Minolta

    XL 84 Sound
    Year: 80-82
    Weight: 1500 g
    Lens: Rokkor Macro 1,4 / 7 - 56 mm
    Macro focusing
    Split Image Focusing
    Auto / Manual Zoom with 2 speed
    Frame rates: 18, 24 + single frame
    Shutter degree: 220
    Manual / Auto Exposure
    Backlight Control
    Fades
    Remote control socket
    Auto Recording Level Control
    6 X AA batteries
    Made in Japan
    Manufacturer: Minolta

    Original price in England (in the year of introduction): ?229

    Recently paid in eBay net auction: $37 eBay7/99 $48 eBay 8/99 $173 eBay3/00
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">R

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Minolta XL 84 sound was my first super 8 camera, and my favorite. I loved the grip, it was so comfortable. They rarely show up on eBay, it seems.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It seems to be a cool camera. It has both 18 & 24 FPS plus manual and auto-exposure.

    It's a kick to see the camera on the cover of a weekly newspapers like that. I very mildly commented to the Super-8 Film Festival people that in their publicity articles, they had a Canon Digital camera instead of a Super-8 Camera.

    I wish they would check out this forum and see that it's a good thing to show off Super-8 Cameras with their publicity pushes.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And here's a link. Since the newspaper just came out...

    the link is simply Pasadenaweekly.com

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just checked the article online, and noticed that the filmmaker and his film is not credited anywhere. (or did I just miss it?)

    Now that I know the model number of the camera, I was emboldened to email the editor of the newspaper weekly.

    -----------------------

    I LOVVVVEEEE the cover featuring the super-8 film camera and the director. When I read the story online, no mention was made of the person on your cover, or the name of their film. (dare I say the name of the camera was also not mentioned, a Super-8 Film Camera, a Minolta-84XLS)

    As a filmmaker looking out for another filmmaker, can you credit him in your online photo? Here is a link to our forum.

    I hope it's OK that we used the front of your magazine for this weeks Super-8 picture.

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic&f=405&t=841

    Here is a link to the Super-8 forum itself...

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic&f=405&t=841


    -Alex


    On further review, [img]redface.gif[/img] , they did mention the filmmaker and the name of his film, but they didn't mention he was the one in the picture.

    Here is a quote from the filmmaker who is temporarily featured on the cover of our Super-8 forum.....

    ?The festival allows an avenue for a group of people to be exposed,? said Thomas Fernando Trail, director of ?Klepto,? (showing at 7:15 p.m. July 29), a Los Angeles resident whose mother is Argentinean and father is American.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll guess Minolta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •